Description: Description: Senior Resource Directory of Lake & Mendocino County


For questions, contact Senior Information & Assistance at 707-468-5132 (or 1-800-510-2020 within Lake and Mendocino Counties) or email us at



Home > Table of Contents > End-of-Life

End-of-Life Resources



Also contact the agencies listed under "Hospice" for ongoing support groups.


AARP Grief & Loss Info Information and links on end-of-life issues. See


Moving On

Willits Senior Center, 1501 Baechtel Rd.


Activity-oriented social support group for widows, women in divorce, or other interested women. Meets at the senior center Second Thurs noon 1:00pm for lunch, followed by meeting 1:00pm 2:00pm; meets at an agreed-upon location in the community on the Fourth Thurs. Social activities are offered, such as trips, dinners, theater, etc.


Public Administrator

The Public Administrator handles the affairs of individuals who die without family to administer their estates, and provides cremation to no income/low income families.


Lake County

16170 Main St., PO Box 9000, Lower Lake



Mendocino County

747 S. State St., PO Box 839, Ukiah




MedCure is a national whole body donation program serving as a link between donors and medical researchers and educators.  MedCure arranges services at NO COST including transportation, cremation, and return of cremated remains to family or a scattering at sea.

866-560-2525 Toll Free or




Hospice of Ukiah

620 S. Dora St., Ste. 101, Ukiah


End of life care including nurse care coordinator, home health aide, chaplain,social worker, and respite volunteers home visits for individuals with a terminal diagnosis and declining health. Palliative care for those with long-term debilitating illnesses. Also volunteer respite for caregivers of those with Alzheimer’s or dementia. See


Hospice Services of Lake County

1862 Parallel Dr., Lakeport

800-900-8820 or 263-6222

Services for persons with terminal illnesses include skilled nursing (pain/symptom management), patient/family education, health aides, social workers, and spiritual/bereavement counseling for patients and family. The focus of care is on comfort rather than cure. Eligibility: Doctor- ordered services for patients of all ages. Medicare, Medi-Cal and most private insurance carriers provide coverage for hospice care. See


Mendocino Coast Hospice

700 River Dr., Fort Bragg


Hospice Coordinator provides information and support. Volunteers provide patient and caregiver support. Program may also provide access to funds to help pay for comfort items and caregiver assistance and an ongoing grief support group. See


Phoenix Hospice

100 Sanhedrin Cir., Willits

800-606-9596 or 459-1818

Home health as well as hospice services for individuals with less than six months to live, including registered nurse, physical therapy, occupational therapy, chaplain services, volunteers. By physician referral.


Redwood Coast Medical Services ~ Shamli Volunteer Hospice/Respite Program

PO Box 1100, Gualala

884-4005 or 412-6018

Provides symptom and supplemental management and respite at no cost to families dealing with life threatening or chronic illness. See


Widow/Widower Checklist



_     Gather together important documents such as your spouses social security number, death certificate (you will need copies which you can obtain from your funeral director) and any related estate forms (wills, trusts, etc.)


_     Get statements and pay bills and taxes owed as soon as possible.


_     If your spouse received social security, notify Social Security of the death since these benefits must stop. Ask about your eligibility for survivors or other benefits and any adjustments to your social security check, if applicable.


_     Notify spouse’s employer and check on benefits which may be due you.


_     If your spouse was a Veteran, check with the Veteran’s Administration; you may be eligible for help with funeral, burial plat, or other benefits.


_     Notify banks, credit unions, mortgage company, and pension providers.


_     Check for benefits as some accounts provide life insurance/death benefits.


_     Change beneficiary on your life insurance.


_     Contact Medicare and other health insurance providers, (i.e. Medicare Supplement Insurance, Medicare Advantage Plan, Medicare Prescription Drug Plans) to cancel the policy to stop premiums.


_     Transfer automobile title into your name and change name on automobile insurance policy.  Ask about reduction in premium.


_     Contact credit and merchant card companies to cancel or change account name.  Check on credit life insurance that may have been carried on debts and may be covered by insurance.


_     Transfer real estate title of jointly held property.  This does not always require probate.  If needed, contact attorney within 30 days following death.


_     Check with fraternal and other organizations (professional associations, health clubs, automobile clubs, etc.).  Benefits may be due to you.


_     Draw up or update your own will. Check with your funeral director to see if he/she can assist you with any of the above items.










Description: Description: C:\Users\InfoTech\Documents\Websites\\2011 Site\Directory\Footer.jpg

Description: Description: hitcounter